Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Florentine Pasta Salad

Breakfast: Mango, Peach, & Passion Cereal by Peace. Fresh Pear on the side (not pictured).

Snack for Silly: Pretzels, Almonds, Raisons, and Banana Chips.

Lunch: Tofurkey & Dubliner Cheese Sandwich on Tortillas. Cucumber and Cherry Tomatoes on the side.

Snack for Silly: Dubliner Cheese on Multigrain Crackers, and Fresh Avocado.

Dinner: Lemon Chicken Breasts and Florentine Pasta Salad.

We started off weak but finished with a bang! Feeling lazy this morning, so out came the cereal. It's always very tempting to simply pour a bowl of cereal in lieu of making a good balanced breakfast, and sometimes I give in. Even these nicer cereals seem to be a big bowl of sugar and carbs. I always serve some fresh fruit, but it's still not the best way for us to start the day. Silly is always hungry for her morning snack early when we have cereal.

The plan was to have regular old sandwiches for lunch, but turns out we were out of sandwich bread and had just enough tortillas for "tofurkey quesadillas" as Silly kept calling them. They weren't heating up or anything, but they were more fun than regular bread.

Dinner was an experiment. While my husband is out of town I thought I'd try cooking some chicken. Turns out I don't really know what I'm doing. I followed an Ina Garter recipe but I over cooked the chicken a bit. I kept convincing myself I was seeing pink when I cut into them, but no, they were actually overcooked. They were still tasty though. Anyone have some tips for checking if meat is cooked without having to simply eyeball it? Is this what a "Meat Thermometer" is for?? The Florentine pasta was much more successful. It's a dish inspired by one in an old Better Homes and Gardens 'pasta' cookbook I have. Basically you cook some pasta (I used spinach linguine) then toss it with fresh tomatoes, fresh julienned spinach, some lemon juice, garlic, red onions and a scoop of pesto. I served it at room temperature. Silly enjoyed both components of this dish, despite the overcooked chicken, so I'm calling it a success. It sure is pretty, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment